Go behind the scenes at Wake Nation with Nick Binkley, Co-Owner.
4411 County Road #418
Rosharon, TX 77583
1. When did you start your business? Wake Nation Cincinnati, the Midwest’s only full scale Cable Wakeboarding Park, opened its doors in the Spring of 2009.
2. Do you consider the location of your shop a key factor to the business’s success? There are many factors that have contributed to the success of Wake Nation. Our goal was to build the world’s best cable park while also maintaining a beginner friendly atmosphere. Being located in Cincinnati, with the nearest cable being 1,000 miles away, we are able to draw from the entire midwest.
3. What product/boat is selling best these days? What products do you carry? Wake Nation has a full service pro-shop selling all the top of the line wakeboard, wakeskate and water ski equipment. Liquid Force has been and continues to be one of our strongest supporters in the industry! We are an official Liquid Force Test Center and if you come into our shop, you will quickly see that we are most successful selling their gear. They are always on the cutting edge of board and binding technology and are always thinking of ways to help support us as a shop. We are also lucky to carry a full line of O’neill vests, Water Monsters Wakeskates, Pro-Tec helmets, Go-Pro HD Camera’s, Tom’s Shoes, Imperial Motion soft goods, and the list goes on!
4. Where do you see your shop in 5-10 years from now? I think we will be able to continue to build our loyal customer base made up of local people as well as people from throughout the midwest. The growth of our shop is really up to them! Like any company, the longer we’re in business, the more people we can turn on to Cable Wakeboarding and the lifestyle that inherently comes with watersports.
5. Who is your average buyer? We sell gear to anyone from the newest of the new, to long time veterans. We are proud to have a business that attracts people who have been recreating in the water their whole lives and at the same time be a huge draw for people who have never had access to boats and find Wake Nation to be a great avenue to break into watersports. As a result, our shop sells to all walks of life and that’s the way we like it!
6. What is the dumbest question a customer has ever asked? I once had a customer ask if he could pay for a pass with poker chips from a casino that’s 200 miles away. I’m not calling you dumb OK, but it was a stupid question!
7. What is the craziest return a customer has ever tried to make? We really try to work with our customers to get them what they want. As I write that, it sounds like the easy answer, but it’s true.
8. Does your store support any local athletes or have a team? We don’t have an official team but we definitely support the local talent. It’s really a symbiotic relationship with these riders. We offer up an amazing facility to them and in return, the public gets a look at some of the best riders around!
9. How many days a week do you ride now compared to before you owned a shop? Oddly enough, it’s stayed about the same. Having a Cable Park outside your door is pretty convenient!
10. Who is your favorite wakeboarder/wakeskater and why? I have to say that Graeme Burress is my favorite wakeboarder to watch. He’s a local rider who happens to work with us at Wake Nation. The way he looks at and approaches riding structures, is different from anyone else I have ever seen. He’s someone to look out for!
11. Every store has to deal with shoplifting. What is your most memorable experience and what is your shoplifting policy? We have a very strict policy. If you steal from us, you’re banned for life! There is nothing more insulting than someone trying to take advantage of you and we don’t tolerate it. As a result, theft has not really been an issue.
13. Does your store carry any products that make it unique to other wake shops in your area? We are the only shop in the area that sells Go-Pro Camera’s and what an amazing product! They are such a perfect fit for the types of people coming out to the Cable Park. The Camera’s themselves are a top quality item and people know it! In addition, Go-Pro does an amazing job marketing and supporting their product. We are honored to carry them at Wake Nation!
14. How significant is the benefit to you that your store could be featured in TransWorld WAKEBOARDING? What a great honor it is to be featured by Transworld WAKEBOARDING. It’s something I read cover to cover every time it shows up at the shop and I know for a fact, I’m not the only one! Any exposure we can get for the Cable Park is awesome, but to be spotlighted in such a great publication is a huge honor. Thanks again!